Sunday, June 14, 2015

A Sunday Kind of Day

On Sunday God was having a house party. An hour and 30 minutes in, I received a message.  I told Jesus I was heading out but would be back soon. He seemed sad but understood. That was 5 years ago.

I would see Jesus from time to time around the neighborhood and he seemed happy but we never spoke after that Sunday.

One night though we bumped into each other at the convenience store/ gas station. He was buying some water and I was struggling to buy cigarettes with the little change in my pocket. Digging in my purse for a dime, I heard my name and turned around to see Jesus just standing there, waiting, and genuinely happy to see me. The clerk didn't car about our reunion and monitored for me to hand them the dime. I gave him the money and quickly stuffed the cigarettes in my purse.

Jesus walked to the counter and paid for his water. I waited for him to finish paying; I figured that was the least I could do. We walked out of the store and sat on a bench. He looked at me and asked how I've been and I looked at him and began crying.  I could't stop crying and saying sorry for leaving him and his party. I told him about how I would see him around the neighborhood. He asked why I never said 'hi' and I said, "because I was embarrassed."He looked away from me, opened his water and drank as he stared into the night.

Wiping my eyes, I looked at Jesus and asked him if he was mad. He sad he wasn't mad just kind of sad. Sad about what I asked. 'Sad' he responded, 'that when life got in the way that I didn't make you feel as if you could talk to me. I never wanted ti make you feel embarrassed. I always thought you knew that you could talk to me even if we didn't hang out in the same circle like we did before. I will always accept you because I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU.

I started crying; I went from crying in my hands to crying on Jesus' shoulder. He patted my head, told me to wipe my tears, and offered me some water. I drank some water, wiped my tears. and lifted my head from his shoulders, well I tried at least. My heart was still heavy from all that I've seen and all that I did in those past 5 years, that all my body wanted to do was rest on Jesus' shoulder.

We sat there for a while, in silence, looking at the empty street  enclosed by street lights. We drank some more water. Jesus then took a deep breath and put his hand on my head to lift me up. I set up and took a deep breathe.

"It's ok."

I looked at him and he looked at me and repeated,

"It's ok."

We stood up and hugged. Jesus told me that his father was having another house party on Sunday and that I should come. I told him I wasn't sure that would be a good idea. His response, "Just come as you are."

He walked away and headed down the street. Once he was gone, I headed back home in the opposite direction.

I went home and thought about Jesus until I fell asleep. When I awoke the next morning I felt refreshed; I felt like I could breathe again.

It was a Sunday afternoon. I knew Jesus father was having his house party. I took a shower, put on some clothes and headed out the door but not before writing a letter to the guy who texted me who was still asleep in the house.

The note said, "Sorry Life but we no longer work."
I walked out of the house and headed to the house party.

The truth is is that I never woke up the next morning after talking to Jesus. The guy that texted me those years ago, we ended up overdosing on meth and drowning in our bath that night. A sad ending to the tale I call my story but the good news is that even though I lost my body, I gained back my soul.



No comments:

Post a Comment